Thursday, March 22, 2012

Down the mythology road

When I first decided to write my own interpretation of the Norse Myths, I really had no clue as to what I was getting myself into. Of course I knew that the myths were not as simple as they might seem at first. After all, this is not the only endeavour I´ve been undertaking in Norse Mythology. Even as a boy, I loved reading these stories and found them to be both intrigueing and mind widening.


But as I walk down this road, it becomes more and more clear to me, that I´ve somewhat underestimated the complexity of the myths. Partly because they speak of things above mondaine understanding, partly because they are apparently a mix of several religious views, some of which are native to Scandinavia and some seem to have come from the religions of  Little Asia.

The creational myth is a good example. It speaks of the Yetten and the Ases, but the Vanes aren´t even mentioned and neither is Yggdrasil, the tree of life, where the apples of youth granting the gods everlasting life, grow.






Additionally, this myth talks about night and day in terms and understanding quite similar to both the old Celtic and Egyptian beliefs as well as Wiccan in its contemporary form.

The question of Vanes origin becomes even more interesting knowing that they play a very minor role in the religious life of people in Denmark and Norway during the Viking ages, whereas they seem to have been worshipped to a much larger extend in the northern parts of Sweden and Finland.

So it is really going to be some of a journey to me - even more than I thought, it would be - perhaps you would like to acompany me?

No comments:

Post a Comment