Tuesday, May 21, 2013

BookReview: The Blaze Ignites

A little while ago, I posted a review on "Miles of Daisyland."
I gave it four stars out of five. But then, as I back-tracked my previous reviews, I found a most disturbing truth: every review I ever did on my blog are four star reviews..!

I've never thought myself an all pad-on-the-back-hallelujah kind of critic and to discover this fact was rather unsettling.

Then, as I thought about it, I suddenly realized why all my reviews have been positive:
#1: I tend to stop reading, when a book doesn't deliver
#2: I find it both dishonest and disrespectful to post a review on a book I haven't read to the last word.

The result has been that only books that deliver something valuable have found their way to a review on the blog.

This must change, if anyone is to take my reviews seriously.
That's why I've made an effort to grab myself by the neck and fight my way through "The Blaze Ignites."

By now you must have guessed my review of this book isn't exactly a five star review. After all, you lot are bright or you wouldn't be reading my blog, would you?

Ready for the review? Here we go:

The Blaze Ignites
by Nichelle Rae (ISBN: 9780988336018)
Published March 18, 2013 through Smashwords.com


The Story:
Azrel carries the burden of being the physical shell of "The White Warrior," created by the light gods as an instrument to fight back evil in the world.
The White Warrior has been lying dormant for a long time, but as the evil Hathum rises to begin The Second Shadow, it´s up to Azrel and The White Warrior to save the world.

My review:
I´ve had some serious issues with this book.
First and foremost, some of the characters seem unrealistic. The majority of the male characters practically juice themselves in emotional doubts that usually work better with female characters. Rabryn, Azrel´s younger brother, who is one of her main protectors and Ortheldo, who has been like a surrogate father to Azrel since her own father´s death, spend the major part of their inner dialogue on rantings about not being good enough and doubting their every move. Men do have feelings and doubts, but we´re not even close to being as complicated as women. (Slap me on the wrist, if you want...)

Secondly, this book has roughly 123,000 words - to tell this story, 90,000 should suffice.
Usually you would like the story to build up gradually, preparing you for what is coming, extending the excitement and then, BANG! the action gives you what you´ve been waiting for.
In this book, the story is built up gradually, preparing you for what is coming, extending the excitement and then... the author seems to think you need a break and a kitkat - because those are the times when she decides to either give you a recap of previous events, a flash back to a characters history or maybe present you with yet another character´s inner dialogue filled with sobbing and crying and doubting themselves or their friends... And when the action finally starts, you´re just not into it anymore...

However, the plot, the story and the inner life of the characters all have potential and even with these issues, the book is readable and the story makes sense.

I give it two stars out of five.

Where to get it:
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/296916


Please feel free to comment on my review weither you agree or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment